Story Starter Questions
- War Stories – Did anyone in your family serve in a war? What did they do? Where did they go?
- Immigration stories ~ How did your family come to live in this area? In this country? Do you know any of the stories of their journey?
- Bygone eras ~ Do you have any stories from the Great Depression? From the turn of the century? From the Roaring Twenties? From the Sixties? From … ?
- Faith stories ~ How did you or your family come to faith? Was anyone in your family in the ministry? What are the most life-changing lessons you’ve learned about faith?
- Career stories ~ What is your career? How did you get involved in it? Was it always a dream of yours? What do like about it? What do you hate about it?
- Community stories ~ What is something unique to your town? Is it an event? An item? An interesting history? Tell me the story about it.
- Family stories ~ Tell me a story about your childhood. How many siblings do you have? Where did you grow up? What has changed about that area or neighborhood since then? Where did you go to school? Did you like school? Tell me about your family members. Did you know your grandparents? Great-grandparents?
- Holiday tradition stories ~ What is one of your favorite holiday traditions in your family? How did it begin?
- Where did you grow up? Where did you go to school?
- Where’s your family from? When did they come to this region, state, country, etc?
- What was the most challenging thing you ever lived through? What lessons did you learn from it?
- How did you meet your spouse?
- What jobs have you held? Which was the most interesting? The one you worked the longest? What did you love about it? What did you hate?
- What do you see as the biggest difference between the world today and from when you were a kid?
- What do you think sets you apart from others around you? What do you wish others understood about your life?
- If you could talk directly to a grandchild or great-grandchild who isn’t even born yet, what life lessons would you want to make sure you passed along to them?
- What’s the most dangerous thing you ever did?
- What’s the most interesting trip you ever took or place you’ve been?
- If you were talking to a friend who didn’t believe like you do, look like you do, have the same health issues you have, or live the same sort of life you live, what would tell them to help them understand what has made you who you are?
- What event or series of event do you feel has done the most to shape you into the person you are today?
- Did you know your grandparents? Great-grandparents? Great-great? Did they tell you any stories that have stuck with you?
- How many siblings do you have? Are you close to them?
- How many children do you have? Do they live near you? What do you remember most from when you first became a parent?